Saturday, December 11, 2010

Doo Wah Diddy

Though making fun of hipsters is now a tired cliche, and a beyond joyless one at that because the only people making fun of hipsters are other hipsters (she said, as she proved her own point), I still occasionally see someone so ridiculous that my smirk becomes a sneer as I giggle at a stranger and then I have to try to keep my mouth shut.

(i'm failing, here.)

This guy was like a grocery store California roll of dated affectations. It's pointless to go into it now, really. I'm tired, and already bored, but...Just imagine what the 'edgy' music video television host you hate the most looks like, in whichever country you reside.


As with many things in life, however, the choice was in the details. And this guy? Chomping on a half smoked cigar that appeared dramatically blown apart at the end. Like in a cartoon. Like an exploding cigar. It was nearly perfect. Giant can headphones, slouchy hat, skinny jeans, deck shoes (IT'S MID-DECEMBER, GUY!), fingerless gloves, and waaay too much scarf. My brain shut off after that, as if I'd inadvertently checked off enough items that my mind said, "no no, that's cool. we've heard quite enough". What I'm saying here is: I don't know if he was wearing giant Urkel glasses or not.

(and I'll tell you another thing: when a 60yr old Polish shopkeeper on Roncesvalles attempts to alert you to the hot new trend of giant, round glasses, you might not want to bother jumping on that bandwagon. although I'm looking forward to the moment when [the arcade fire's] The Suburbs hits the suburbs [countdown is on]. Cannibal!)

No comments:

Post a Comment