Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ricocheting Rhetoric

I have a friend who tries to be practical and unemotional when it comes to matters of the heart. He tries hard to weigh the facts, consider the reality, find the truth. I absolutely understand and respect his motivation, but there are a few problems with this, unfortunately. Truth, logic, and reality are all subjective. When you make subjectives your absolutes, you make your opinion the only one that matters. You become incapable of actual compromise, of seeing other people's perspectives. While it's true that perspective IS reality, when you cling to YOUR reality SO tenaciously, you sometimes end up alone in your righteousness.

I worry that this is the situation he might find himself in. I worry, because he's basically my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment