Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cleaning

I hate tidying.

There, I've said it. Everything was fine in the new apartment until I acquired 'stuff', and now I just can't be bothered to put it away most of the time. I find reasons not to put things away, like, "I'll need this sooner rather than later", or "there was something I needed this for, and when I remember, I will need it out immediately," or "I will just lose this if I put it away". I am not visually oriented; my mind can't figure out where items should 'live', so I just leave them about.

I read an article in the New Yorker years ago about people who need objects in front of them to function, in order to work. I remember smugly feeling validated after reading that people who leave things lying around have greater memory capacity than those who do not. It may be true, but people who put things away probably entertain more at home than I do because they can find a place to put The Six Million Dollar Man board game, and I can't.

My apartment isn't dirty, and it's not even that messy. But somehow, tidying up just isn't a priority for me, and I can't help feel that something is wrong with me because of it. I rarely sleep well, but as soon as I contemplate cleaning up, I immediately become incredibly drowsy, as if drugged by the boredom I feel when cleaning.

I'll fold that laundry. After a nap, perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN. And FYI, it's even harder to tidy up the things that you accumulate (not hoard, oh no!) when you live in a trailer. You'd think it would be easier, but it's not. Mostly because there's nowhere to move the offending items to.

    ReplyDelete