Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I need a globe.

When I was 20, I applied for a job with Canada Post. There was a breezy interview, where I got to tell charming anecdotes about my adventures in customer service. After the interview, I was left alone in the conference room to fill out a lengthy questionnaire. The questionnaire covered much of the same ground as the interview (strengths, weaknesses, etc.), and concluded with a single page that simply asked for the names of all the provinces and the capitals thereof. I smugly filled in the answers, and was just about to call the examiner back in when I realized that...I was missing a province. And capital.

And I sat for 20 minutes.

And I was never, ever able to remember: Manitoba. Winnipeg.

Tonight, I looked at a map and thought, "Huh. What's that? What IS that landmass?". I stared at it for the longest 30 seconds of my life. I had to click to another page, where the countries were identified. Asia. It was FUCKING ASIA. A CONTINENT. I FORGOT A CONTINENT.

In my defence, I've been stripping paint for the last week. With a heat gun. In a heat wave. And for the last 36 hours, I've been stripping paint with industrial paint solvents. And it was 4 am when I looked at the map.

But still.

I think I'm going to wear a face mask next time. You know, just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment