Friday, October 1, 2010

My Stupid Blog

A year ago today, in a leather jacket, plaid dress, yellow tights and knee-high boots, I quit my job.

I had no idea what I was doing when I burned my life to the ground three years ago, but you can't stop a chain of dominoes. When the last domino falls, you have to set about picking them up. I guess that's what I was trying to do this last year. That was the plan, at least.

As this year dragged on, I began to dread the last week of September, the thought of having to take stock of it all, what with my introspective nature...ugh. I was pretty convinced that I wouldn't like what I figured out. At times, I really felt like this year was just another abstraction I was failing at quantifying.

And then the last week of September came.

My best friend from high school traveled 10 hours to spend 12 with me.

I had an epic chat with an old friend that began in tears, and ended with hysterical laughter.

I reconciled with a dear friend after a 2 year estrangement.

I had a perfect adventure day.

Investments in people will be rewarded.

Everything gets better.

Time is the only answer.

I like being happy.

*******************

I am pretty comfortable in my skin. I learn from my mistakes. I love and am loved. I am very, very lucky.

(and glad that i quit that stupid job)

NEXT.

4 comments:

  1. I' so happy for you. I hope to have a similar experience now that I have quit my hated job. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. sometimes, you have to completely lose faith in order to have it restored. bring that caravan this way, and i'll let you park in my spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Investments in people will be rewarded."

    Love that...

    Congrats on figuring shit out...maybe I should try that whole burning things to the ground...or maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
  4. aces, marky. don't burn it to the ground. your kids are too cute. a good compromise is maybe just accepting a policy of complete emotional honesty. it really changed my life.

    ReplyDelete